Always moving forward, here at KnowledgeHunter Corp! (Note: not a real corporation) Just posted the github of the new SDIM 2.3. Changes in just about every corner, but the big overall change is the addition of job information in the data pull.
If you have no idea what SDIMS is or I’m yammering about, here’s the run-down. Otherwise, read on for the 2.3 update news.
Dey took er jerbs
The newest feature is ability to inventory pretty thorough job information. Well, the stuff I’m always looking for anyway. Also included is some extended information, which right now basically includes just a description with a few other identifying columns. Future versions may gather more data and put it here. Powershell handles it well, even with several thousand rows/jobs.
Here is the kind of information that you can expect to see:
- Job Name
- Is the Job enabled?
- Schedule Name
- Is the Schedule enabled?
- Schedule Type, Occurrence, Recurrence (if applicable) and Frequency
- Job Description
This information has been added to the ‘Full Inventory’, so be aware that has a lot of new stuff in it too.
Full disclosure: I used heavily modified version of a few queries from Dattatrey Sindol to pull jobs data.
Fixed a few bugs:
isProduction column now does not display in Instances list. That was a feature that got removed from everywhere (before 1.0). Finally removed the column.
HIPAA level feature is now completely removed. Never got this one working right and I decided that in the future I’ll go with something a bit more general, like maybe just ‘priority’ or something.
Fixed a few typos. Me spel gud now.
Too many varchar(max) columns. I know. I know.
So, how do you get this? Well…
If you never have used it before, I would suggest going through the walkthrough I put out a while ago. I may in the future build a more simplified version for people who just want to install and don’t care about the behind-the-scenes. (UPDATE: I did just that, here)
Elseif you’re using prior to 2.1 already, then you should probably just drop all the SQL objects and rebuild with the new 2.3 items. This includes the PowerShell datapull and frontend pieces; they’re the only two PowerShell pieces.
Elseif you’re on 2.1 right now you can just replace the items that were changed. I have created a script that will do this for you, because that’s the kind of guy I am. You may need to run the script twice because I didn’t check for object existence. Running it multiple times won’t hurt. It doesn’t touch the Servers table, but it does drop the InstanceList, so if you have that statically assigned, then you’re going to want to back it up and then re-insert the data with the missing columns removed.
And Here’s A Count of All the Bolts
Lastly, here’s the items that were altered in the 2.1 – 2.3 release if you’re curious:
dbo.JobList – This holds all the jobs information. Added for new feature (look! No varchar(max)!)
dbo.InstanceList – Removed a column.
dbo.prGetInstances – Altered to fix bug
dbo.prGetInventory – Altered to fix bug
dbo.prGetJobs – New for new feature
dbo.prGetJobsExt – New for new feature
dbo.prGetServersAndInstances – Altered to fix bug
dbo.prInsertJobList – New for new feature
dbo.prUpdateInstanceList – Altered to fix bug
DB_DataPull – Altered to pull Jobs (new feature) and fix bugs
DB_DataPUll_FrontEnd – Altered to display Jobs/Jobs Extended